Football Feb 10, 2026

Cristian Romero comments: 'Disgraceful' that Tottenham had '11 players available' against Man City, says Spurs captain

👤
By Admin
Sports Journalist
Cristian Romero comments: 'Disgraceful' that Tottenham had '11 players available' against Man City, says Spurs captain

Tottenham captain Cristian Romero has described it as "disgraceful" that Spurs had only 11 players available for their game against Manchester City.

Thomas Frank is under pressure at Tottenham with the team on a run of six games without a win in the Premier League and languishing down in 14th in the table. But they came from two down against City on Sunday to salvage a 2-2 draw in front of their fans.

Romero was forced off at half-time through illness, having struggled through away to Eintracht Frankfurt in midweek, and the Argentina international's comments on Instagram appear to reflect his frustration at the club's current predicament.

"Great effort from all my teammates yesterday, they were incredible," Romero posted on Monday.

"I wanted to be available to help them even though I wasn't feeling well, especially since we only had 11 players available - unbelievable but true and disgraceful.

"We'll keep showing up and taking responsibility to turn this around, working hard and staying together. All that's left is to thank all of you for being there and for always supporting us."

. After Tottenham's 3-2 defeat to Bournemouth last month, Romero appeared to blast the club's hierarchy for "lies" in a post that he later edited.

It originally read: "At times like this, it should be other people coming out to speak, but they don't - as has been happening for several years now. They only show up when things are going well, to tell a few lies."

The words "to tell a few lies" were later removed, and Frank defended Romero for his "mistake".

Tottenham have more players currently injured than any other team in the Premier League, with 13 absentees at present - many of them long term.

James Maddison and Dejan Kulusevski have been unavailable all season, while Rodrigo Bentancur, Mohammed Kudus, Lucas Bergvall, Richarlison, Ben Davies, Kevin Danso and Pedro Porro are also out.

With minor concerns over Djed Spence, Micky van de Ven and Dominic Solanke too, Frank faces more selection dilemmas ahead of the visit to Manchester United on Saturday.

Tottenham have made two first-team additions in this window, having brought in Conor Gallagher from Atletico Madrid and young Brazilian left-back Souza from Santos. There was interest in Antoine Semenyo but the player opted to join Manchester City instead.

It is understood the club's position is that better options are likely to become available in the summer, when it plans to invest heavily.

Your Site News reporter Michael Bridge:

"It's not what Spurs wanted.

"It is literally minutes after the window and they will be aware supporters will be unhappy after there wasn't much business done in January.

"They wanted to do more and we know they did all they could to sign Antoine Semenyo. They also tried to sign Andy Robertson and they were confident they were going to get that deal done, only for Liverpool to change their mind after the game against Bournemouth.

"They brought in Conor Gallagher and Souza, but the fans wanted more. And did Cristian Romero want more?

"He mentioned that only 11 players were available in his post but for some balance and context, against Man City, 15 players were available.

"There are people saying that there is potential for this message to have been lost in translation. That's not for Spurs to say, it's down to Romero or his agent, or whoever posts on his social media.

"However, the fact it was done in English suggests to me that I don't think it was lost in translation. It's yet another post from him and there are players liking it.

"There is so much to go at with this. But it is not what Tottenham wanted the minute after the end of the transfer window. Was he criticial of the spending? Was he critical of the squad depth? Or was he just frustrated with the amount of injuries?

"Let's face it, it is a frustrating time for Spurs, at the moment."

Tags:

football news

Share this article

Related Posts

Igor Tudor: Who is Tottenham's interim head coach? The former Juventus, Lazio, Marseille boss analysed

Igor Tudor: Who is Tottenham's interim head coach? The former Juventus, Lazio, Marseille boss analysed

Igor Tudor is tasked with keeping Tottenham in the Premier League - his toughest firefighting mission yet.The 47-year-old, a former centre-back for Ha...

Adam Reach exclusive interview: Lincoln left-back reflects on the impact of the seven-month period he spent as a free agent

Adam Reach exclusive interview: Lincoln left-back reflects on the impact of the seven-month period he spent as a free agent

Across the last two of Adam Reach's three seasons at West Brom, he could not catch a break with injuries.In 2022-23, he was limited to just three Sky...

Chelsea show fight after back-to-back wins in Women's Super League - only they can silence the unwanted noise

Chelsea show fight after back-to-back wins in Women's Super League - only they can silence the unwanted noise

Your Site columnist Laura Hunter analyses the big talking points from the latest Women's Super League matches, bringing you closer to the key stories...

Liverpool: Jamie Carragher expects Reds to miss out on Champions League spots following defeat to Man City

Liverpool: Jamie Carragher expects Reds to miss out on Champions League spots following defeat to Man City

Jamie Carragher expects Liverpool to miss out on Champions League qualification through the Premier League. The Your Site pundit said it is now "a lon...

Man City 3-0 Fulham: Premier League title race back on! Pep Guardiola's side move within three points of Arsenal

Man City 3-0 Fulham: Premier League title race back on! Pep Guardiola's side move within three points of Arsenal

Manchester City injected life into the Premier League title race by moving within three points of leaders Arsenal after a convincing 3-0 victory over...

Thomas Frank sacked: Did Spurs wait too long to remove their head coach - and could it cost them Premier League survival?

Thomas Frank sacked: Did Spurs wait too long to remove their head coach - and could it cost them Premier League survival?

Vinai Venkatesham didn't want to do it, but he had to.The mood and atmosphere inside the stadium in Tottenham's defeat to Newcastle left the Spurs chi...